Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bennigan's Declares Bankruptcy! And Other News No One But Me Cares About

Yes, that's right. I am in a state of shock, awe, and sadness - shockawness (that sounds surprisingly like "Loch Ness" with an "-a-" in the middle, as if someone were saying it with a bad, stereotypical Italian accent. Anyway.)

So, yeah, no more Spicy Queso Beer Dip. No more vegetarian fajitas. No more desserts my dining companions assured me were meat by-product free before "discovering" marshmallows in them ("them" being the desserts, not my dining companions).

In short, I've lost my "hey-I-just-achieved-something-let's-go-to-Bennigan's-to-celebrate" spot. Apparently, the privately owned Bennigan's (Bennigan'ses?) will remain open, but they're all in, like, Texas or someplace, and how does that help me? I've never achieved anything in Texas except a sunburn.

Hmmm, what else? Honeydew melons are on sale this week. In my five weeks of employment at the ever-lovely haven known as Market Basket, I'd never once crossed paths with a honeydew melon. (Which was fine by me...something about those things just irks me. I think it's because they're too smooth. Literally.) But suddenly everyone and their mom is buying melons. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But still. The Honeydews (yes, capital H) and I have made contact.

Also popular this week: Really heavy stuff that's awkward to lift and even more awkward to scan through the price scanner. Stuff like dog food (for Clifford?! Seriously, whose dog eats THIS MUCH in between trips to the MB?), charcoal (grill, grill, grill, suckas!), kitty litter (a deceptively cutesy name for a very non-cutesy item), and so on. Large, unwieldy 24-packs and 35-packs of water bottles (in various sizes) remain a must-have item for every single shopper. Sometimes they will even insist upon loading all FIFTY SIX (or, you know, four) of their Awkward Water Packs onto the conveyor belt and pushing the carriage all the way to the end so that I have no choice but to scan each individual bulky package. Arg.

Still have not seen The Dark Knight. I actually have no desire to - ahhh! Please stop throwing rotten fruit at me! I KNOW, it's the performance of Heath Ledger's career! I KNOW it was awesome! I've heard about the "pencil trick" (although no one will explain the awesomeness of the "pencil trick" to me...they - "they" being my friends that have seen The Dark Knight, most likely multiple times - only look at each other knowingly and go, "Pencil...trick..." in my presence). But seriously. Stop trying to convince me to see it. I'm just not a Batman kind of gal. I like movies where people break into song. Preferably in Greece. With Colin Firth. And ABBA songs.

So, take a guess which movie I'll use my movie-watching budget on before devoting the hypothetical leftover cash to this Batman guy. Just take a gander.

Apart from Mamma Mia, I really want to see Girl With a Pearl Earring. No, not just because Colin Firth is also in that. I actually just finished reading the book (which I bought for $14.90 - sale! - at Borders before realizing that I could have just borrowed it from my mom). It was pretty good. Not my new favorite, but it was in the running there for a little while. Since I finished that, I've tried rereading The Enchanted April, which I'd started last year. I'd never gotten past the first page of the second chapter. But since I'd read A Room with a View earlier this year (and liked it), and the critical praise on the back of The Enchanted April said that those who loved A Room with a View would also love The Enchanted April, I figured, hey, let's give it another try. So I am. And I'm liking it so far (I'm just over 1/3 of the way through it). I really should go to the library and pick up some books to bring with me on vacation next week. On the other hand, I really SHOULDN'T go to the library and pick up some books. I've still only just made a dent in my mandatory (?) school reading - The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki - and I really should do some more work on it. On the OTHER hand, if you can't relax and read what you want to while you're on VACATION, when can you?!

Finally, speaking of vacations, Jess and I both have TOMORROW OFF! Well, she has something in the morning, and I have to tutor at three-thirty, but other than that, it's gonna me Renée and Jess: Best Friends Together Again! (Cue music: "Reunited and It Feels So Good")

Off to read, sleep, and enjoy the fact that tomorrow I am living SUPERMARKET FREE!!! I mean, until I try to cook a meal for myself. Then it's all "Gotta get some bread -two for three dollars if it's generic - some sugar, some cinnamon, and some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! and slice up some 4174s to make turnovers. Yum!" "Pass the 4066s, please." "Why are there 4497s in the fridge?! You know I only like 4023s!"

Jess - and other Market Basket employees - will understand. Well, they'll understand the codes, anyway, I'm probably the only one that thinks of her fruits and veggies in terms of produce codes.

Well, good night.

No comments: