Sunday, May 12, 2013

Nice is...Nice Enough

As far as cities go, I've never been particularly attached to Nice. Or I guess I should say I was never particularly attached to the idea of Nice, since my firsthand knowledge of the place was limited to my once getting a connecting train there.

But now I have actually stayed in the city and can say it with conviction: I have never been particularly attached to Nice.

There's nothing wrong with Nice. It's a perfectly fine city. I just didn't get that vibe from it. You know the vibe I'm talking about.

However, I did enjoy quite a few aspects of the admittedly meager amount of time I spent exploring the city. Colline du Chateau, or the Castle Hill, is pretty cool and offers, among other things, stunning views of Nice, some rather sparse (compared to other places) castle ruins, some interesting cemeteries, a cute park, a picturesque waterfall, and lots of stands selling postcards to tourists.




Some views of Nice from Colline du Chateau

I'm going to straight to hell for even saying this, but doesn't the face in the middle remind you of Voldemort?



Waterfall on Colline du Chateau

Beaches in Nice are made up of rocks, not sand.


I also spent some time walking in the Old Town, which was really cool, and along the famous Promenade des Anglais, which was really overrated in my opinion. For instance, compare the guidebook's portrayal of "relaxing on the Promenade des Anglais" (upper righthand page) to the reality of "relaxing" on the Promenade des Anglais (basically the same picture, zoomed out):



See what I mean?

I did have some pretty good food in Nice, but that's going to be the subject of its own post. There's not much more to say on this front, I guess, so here's an obligatory touristy picture of Hotel Negresco (a Nice landmark).

Until next time!




No comments: